Monday 23 December 2013

Mai

Yesterday I was watching a film made back in the 1980's called"Scrubbers" kind of like Alan Clarks "Scum" except this was set in a girls borstal, I didn't catch the directors name at the start of the movie it's a hard hitting movie and at the time I thought here's no way a man would be able to direct a film like this, when I got to the end of the film I looked up who directed it to find the name Mai Zetterling a Swedish actress who starred in Torment an early Ingmar Bergman movie, she went into directing herself years later .
I also discovered that her first English speaking role was in a 1947 film called Frieda where these pictures come from, hence this post- its a pity I can't find it on Amazon as I'd certainly feature screencaps here, the film concerns a young German woman who helps a British Pilot to escape captivity,they soon marry and she returns with him to England and has to face up to the prejudices of the locals,this strikes me as a very daring and challenging  film to make so soon after the war , but films like these have to be made in order for whoever see's it to evolve. Hopefully I'll find a dvd copy at some point but right now I can only find one clip which has a song rather than dialogue and video kind of gives away what happens in story but I'll post it here anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You May Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...