Sunday 12 July 2015

"She Lives in a Time of Her Own"-Post 11.

Dolores Moran-in Howard Hawks "To Have and Have Not" - I regretted deleting my post about Howard Hawks the other week on the old comic blog - where I featured this pic as well as the next so instead thought I'd feature a few stars from 1940's here ... beginning with Dolores..who looks ultra glamourous even when she's been smuggled across sea.
Pity this is so small -best quality I could find-
Found this on e-bay hence watermark -rare as hens teeth but at least it;s a fair size.
I do love this movie.. saved Bogies life and career-and he met the love of his life -Lauren -although Hawks was none too pleased seeing as he felt like he nutured Bacall -he had an affair with Dolores  in an attempt to make Bacall jealous -didn't work though-
Sadly Dolores died at the early age of 56 her career plagued by illness and by her involvment with Hawks who saw that he was onto a good thing with Bacall and Bogart -so he gave them much more screen time and cut the scenes featuring Moran from the final movie . There's something quite magical about this movie... some skater dude on the street called me Ernest Hemmingway the other day -I take that as the ultimate compliment. :D




 I've finally got around to seeing  "Frieda" starring the very beautiful and talented  Mai Zettering
here's my original post about the film( although I hadn't seen at the time)http://leather-beauties.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/mai.html
The film opens with a  very strange wedding scene -forget about  shotgun marriage this one was accompinied by anti  aircraft fire and explosions in a bombed out church- I'll feature screencaps on the main blog  when I can get around to it -in the meantime here's the trailer .

Frieda (1947) - Trailer by FilmGorillas
Another movie with an unusual wedding-a 20 Dollar  Wedding "They Live By Night" starring Cathy O'Donnell as "Keechie" on the run with the wrongly accussed "Bowie the Kid" Nicolas Ray's first feature .. he'd go onto making "Rebel Without a Cause" "King of Kings" and"Johnny Guitar" -In this  brief scene where she dons Bowies jacket as the roofs leaking and the floors flooded in there chalet -As soon as saw Cathy I thought the camera loved her- she has one of those faces that when lit in a certain way resonates - especially in black and white-the final scene featuring her is a classic piece of film noir  - it's a pity I haven't seen her in many other films. This movie was remade in the 70's entitled  "Thieves like Us" a line from the original -I guess Joy Division and New Order liked Ray's movies as "In a Lonely Place is another title they borrowed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

You May Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...